Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Vacation: Day 1

Today was a travel day and a loosely-explore-New-Orleans day.

I got up and ran 4.6 miles. Then I got dressed and finished packing. We loaded up the puppies and stopped at Starbucks to get me a Spinach Feta Wrap for breakfast. We dropping the dogs off at my mom & dad's. on the way to KC, I had a snack--a KIND Plus bar. We stopped at legends because i needed to return something.  I got Panera for us to take to the airport for lunch. 

When we arrived in New Orleans, we headed for our hotel, Omni Royal Crescent. Our room is awesome! We went and checked out the patio with hot tub and the fitness center. The fitness center is totally awesome. Total upgrade from last week's hotel. There is even a sauna and I thought of you, Jen!

Around 4:00, we went walking around the French Quarter for exploration purposes. It's so hard to describe, but it's like an entirely different culture than I've experienced before. The buildings seems to have a lot of history. They are French in style, but many tropical colors are used, so you feel like you are in the Caribbean or Key West. We went to Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop at the recommendation of Laura. It was a great hole-in-the-wall. I ordered a hurricane and let me tell you--it did the job. 


Then we walked Bourbon Street. We talked to a lot of locals and the conversations were great. There were mentions of donkeys and pot and X-Acto knives. Good times. 

I learned that skirts are the only way to deal with the heat and I won't be carrying a purse from now on. 

We headed to SoBou for dinner at the recommendation if Nathalie at Omni. We wanted to eat light, so I had an oyster taco and hubby had gumbo. And WATER. 


Then, we went to GW Fins for a kickass apple pie. I ordered a lemon drop martini. Hubby ordered soft shell crab. We both shared the apple pie. It. Was. So. Good.
 

The we returned to the hotel around 8:00. We had the rooftop hot tub all to ourselves!

So, that was our Day 1 and it was perfect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment