Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Guest Post {Colby's Perspective}

One day my wife and I talked about painting the living room.  We were just sitting around watching TV.  I thought it was a good idea.  Then she just said, "Okay, get in the car and we are going to get paint and come home and start painting."  It was around 10pm. We went to the store, got paint, came home and painted the living room. That is the determination that my wife has and it helps make me a better person. (Note: That has happened several times.)  Without her, I would have thought about it, and then maybe got to it in a couple of weeks after I planned it all out.  Her diet and exercise has had the same effect.  I had been thinking about doing something as well, but not to that extent, and when she said, "I want to get a membership at the Y and starting eating healthy," I was all for it.  Not the totally eating healthy part, but the working out.  On a side note, I was asked to go watch Sporting KC's spring training in Orlando and I did not want to meet Graham Zusi as an overweight has-been. I wanted to look like the athlete I used to be. I knew Chelsea would be successful, just like the night we painted until after midnight, and I knew it would help me as well.  Anytime she wants to do something, it happens.  This kind of attitude has really helped her in her quest.

I sit here typing after eating half of a caramel Oreo apple with a mocha (granted, I just finished running two miles) and I am appreciative of her starting this.  I was a little worried at first because I thought about how I will be making my own dinner now for myself and for my daughter.  I didn't think it would be that big of a problem, but I had just gotten used to Chelsea cooking so I knew I would have to step it up.  It has been a challenge.  Whenever we go to the store I am planning out things that my daughter and I will eat.  It has had a huge effect on me and it has made me think about everything I am picking out to eat.  Part of the problem has been that if you want to eat healthy you know you would have to pay a lot of money for the healthy food.  I get organic/natural waffles for Alex and they are twice the price.  A can of organic/natural soup is $3 instead of Campbell's Chunky soup at around $1.50. Some of the organic stuff is so expensive, but I just went with it as I knew it would make Chelsea happy and I knew it was the right thing to do.  You should eat healthy, but it just sucks that a lot of the healthy food is more expensive.

We started out in January and I had fun going with her and doing some of her workouts and I enjoyed doing some of my own. We usually went together, but then I started coaching soccer and she started umpiring. I was not sure how that was going to go because once your life gets busy, the first thing you take out is working out.  I will say I started skipping more workouts and she just kept going and going and going. I am very proud of her.  She gets up several times a week around 5am and goes to work out and I skip my workout. I just can't do it, but she can.  It goes back to her determination and how much drive she has.

I am so happy for her. She looks amazing. All I can think about is I can't wait for free time for us to go out. After seeing her in a dress today, and how hot she looked, I was thanking the stars for how lucky I am. I am content knowing she feels good about herself as well and for taking me along for the ride.  When she started in January I was around 190-193 pounds and was worried I would hit 200 pounds.  My life was busy and I was always tired. I am now at 180.

All of this has got me thinking about what I eat. I still drink Coke, but I try to have only a half of a Coke can per day, one cup of coffee, and try not to have too much chocolate.  She is successful because she does weights, cardio, and eats right. I think I am just keeping my weight from getting higher and higher, but all of it has made me more aware of what I am eating and more aware of if I am sitting on the coach and not doing anything.  I can tell you that I would not have run the 2 miles tonight and I would have made an excuse, if it weren't for Chelsea. I find myself trying to show her that I am not a "bum" and that in a way I am supporting her by working out too.  I don't know if I will ever have the strength and resolve to work out every single day and eat totally healthy, but by having her I will be better off.

No comments:

Post a Comment