Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Sauce Makes You Fat.

Before January, I knew that creamy dressings were fattening. I don't live under a rock. I always would order a vinaigrette dressing for my salad.  Moving on from salad dressings, I never really worried about ordering BBQ sauce with my chicken nuggets.  The nuggets were the real problem, right? In an effort to be healthy, I would order Naked Tenders from Buffalo Wild Wings and I would dip them into a healthy dose of BBQ sauce and/or bleu cheese. I love that mix!

I didn't know that vinaigrette was made of oil and sugar until I made one myself. I guess I knew that oil was involved, but SUGAR? I swear, I didn't know.  On FitOrbit, my salad "dressing" was usually 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar. At first I thought there was no way that would be enough flavor to help me eat the lettuce. However, I always put my "dressing" into a bowl and a lid and I shook it to coat everything. It was plenty of flavor! Another revelation. So, I will never buy salad dressing again. Most brands are not clean and I can make my own dressing using my variety of oils and vinegars in the pantry.  Just look at the ingredient list on the dressing & sauces in your fridge. I would bet that you can't pronounce most of the ingredients. Sauces and dressings are definitely a sneaky source of added sugar and unnatural ingredients.
Case and Point: Kraft Light Raspberry Vinaigrette

I am guessing that there are a lot of people who are dieting and eating salads, but they are slowing their progress because of the constant accompaniment of dressings and sauces.  That describes the old me perfectly. I'm so glad I figured this out sooner than later!

Sugar Nation


2 comments:

  1. You know, Ryan being diabetic, I had to really start watching what had sugar and what didn't. I was sooo surprised at the amount of food that had a buttload of sugar in it!

    Truly, you just need to make your own anything in order to be free of all the crap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing what they add sugar too. When I buy dressing I look for 3 grams of sugar or less.

    ReplyDelete